Governors from the South-South region on Tuesday met with Chief of Staff to the President, Amb. Ibrahim Gambari, at the Rivers Government House, in Port Harcourt.
Globalgistng had earlier reported that President Muhammadu Buhari’s Chief of Staff and other high profile dignitaries were expected in Port Harcourt later today.
The meeting with the South-South governors and stakeholders of the Niger Delta region is coming after the initial meeting was called-off last week due to the absence of the federal government’s representatives.
At the Presidential meeting on Tuesday were Governors Ifeanyi Okowa (Delta), Godwin Obaseki (Edo), Douye Diri (Bayelsa), Ben Ayade (Cross River), Emmanuel Udom (Akwa Ibom) and Nyesom Wike (Rivers).
It was reported that the Chief of Staff to the President, Ambassador Ibrahim Gambari, led the federal government delegation to the meeting in Port Harcourt.
During the course of the meeting, the six Governors and leaders in the zone in a common position presented by Chairman of South South Governor’s Forum, Gov. Ifeanyi Okowa, made the following demands:
1. Immediate relocation of headquarters of oil multinational to their operational bases in the South South region.
2. Immediate relocation of government-owned oil subsidiaries from Lagos and Abuja to the South South region.
3. Immediate completion of East-West road under construction.
4. Immediate privatisation of the two refineries in Port Harcourt and the one in Warri for effectiveness.
5. Call for release of all funds due NDDC and that henceforth, all NDDC projects MUST be done in consultation with State Governors.
6. Reactivation of sea ports in Calabar, Port Harcourt and Warri. Then, the Lagos to Calabar rail line.
7. True federalism, resource control, fair revenue sharing and State Police, the best ingredients to achieving a better Nigeria.