Local News

#EndSARS: ‘Wike we dey come oh’, Port Harcourt protesters chant as they march to Governor Office{Video}

Protesters were seen holding placards and chanting: “Wike we dey come Oh, Wike we dey come Oh, we no go gree, we no gree stay for house Oh”

Advertisement

Hundreds of young people stormed the streets of Port Harcourt on Tuesday morning to stage a protest against the now-disbanded SARS Special Anti-Robbery Squad, defying the rivers State Governor’s order to hold the protest.

The protesters were seen carrying placards and chanting “Wike we de come oh, Wike we de come oh, we no go gree, we no gree stay for your house oh”

Recall that Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike, on Monday night, had banned #EndSARS protests in the state.

The governor said that since the police have scrapped the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), there was “no need for any form of protest against a unit of the police force that no longer exists.”

Wike said law enforcement agencies have been directed to enforce the ban and “bring violators to book.”

Following renewed protests across the country over reports of brutality, harassment and extrajudicial killings by SARS operatives, Mohammed Adamu, the inspector-general of police (IGP), had issued a directive on Sunday, disbanding the unit.

Advertisement

But the protests have continued, with activists insisting that more concrete steps must be taken on proscribing SARS, since similar directives have been given in the past.

However, in a statement issued on Monday night by Paulinus Nsirim, commissioner for information and communications, Wike warned Rivers residents against embarking on #EndSARS protests.

According to the governor, there was no need for further protests since the SARS unit has been scrapped by the IGP.

“The Rivers State Government hereby [wishes] to inform the general public that all forms of protests have been banned throughout the State,” the statement read.

READ  PDP appoints Wike to lead Obaseki’s campaign in Edo State

“Therefore, all proposed protests under #EndSARS Campaign are hereby prohibited.

“Government took this decision because the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, had already scrapped the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.

Also Read: Wike: I never said that FG should keep their hands off the river oil – Zamfara gold

“Therefore, there is no need for any form of protest against a Unit of the Police Force that no longer exists.

“Parents and Guardians are therefore advised to ensure that their children or wards do not violate this order.

“Law enforcement agencies are also directed to ensure that the ban is enforced and that violators are brought to book.”

Globalgistng Nigeria

Advertisement

Admin

Contact/Whatsapp No: +2348137451665, Twitter: @globalgistng1, Facebook: globalgistng, Email: globalgistng@gmail.com
Back to top button