COMMUNIQUE RELEASED BY CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA(CAN) EKITI STATE BRANCH IN A MEETING HELD BY THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT EXECUTIVES, BLOC CHAIRMEN AND ZONAL CHAIRMEN AT 2ND ECWA, BEHIND TND GAS AFAO ROAD, ADO-EKITI ON JULY 10, 2020.
The meeting was convened to give the report of our stewardship over the conditions for reopening of churches in the state as laid down by the state government.
Here are our resolutions:
- With all the conditions given by the Government for worship centers, it is a clear indication that Government is directly or indirectly against gathering of worshipping Almighty God.
- After we had taken into considerations those conditions about the reopening of our churches, we the Ado-Ekiti Local Government CAN Branch see church as a law abiding, orderly and godly before COVID-19 and we will ever be, compare with what we are seeing in the Mall, Market and other places in the town, therefore, why is the state government trying to cage the church and ridicule God?
- We observed that there is no age limit in the Market and Malls, no age limit for those who board vehicle, so why age limit in churches. Government should allow every worshipper to participate in worship without age limit, while we put all the precautions in action. The government should remember how devil is working hard this time on children, so living them at home can lead to another catastrophe or means of endangering their lives.
- The body stands against payment for disinfection of worship centers except for any church who willingly want the service of environmental department. Let each church do the disinfection by themselves and being monitored by CAN taskforce. At least government should trust Christian leaders for this assignment if they really trust us as they used to say when they need us.
- That Ado-Ekiti Local Government CAN Branch is not ready to pay for any certificate.
- That the sitting arrangement creating for the worship centers is much,. Government should reduce it to 1 meter instead of 2 meters or each family to seat together.
- That one hour for worship for only one day in a week is ridiculous; therefore, it should be increased to at least two hours.
- We request for quick response to all the issues raised or the churches should remain unopened.
- We hailed the government for the effort to curtail this deadly decease and prayed for total victory over corona virus and quick recovery for all the victims.
Revd. Babare E. Oluwagbenga
Evan. Bisade A. George